New CPT Mobility Scooter Code
New CPT Mobility Scooter CodeOn Wednesday, 14 September 2011 and following discussions with the Department for Transport, CPT launched a Code of Practice for the use and acceptance of Mobility Scooters on low floor buses.
The Code simplifies and puts in place standardised procedures for Operators and Mobility Scooter to ensure they are able to safely use bus services. The Code aims to make clear to all concerned the types of mobility scooters our vehicles will be able to accommodate. It introduces a permit system for the mobility scooter user that will make it easier for the bus driver to recognise that the mobility scooter has been approved by the Operator and the user has been trained in how to safely board and alight from the bus. The permit will be accepted by all Operators who adopt the Code.
The Code is being implemented through four documents:
· a general information leaflet that can be used by operators and staff as well as scooter users and members of the public;
· 2 visual scooter recognition guides for driver reference and use; and
· a credit card-sized scooter permit which is issued to scooter users by operators on successful assessment and training in boarding, alighting and moving within the vehicle.
In addition there are two letter templates for dealing with
· general enquiries from the public / scooter users about the Code; and
· a slightly different version for scooter users who have been refused.
Templates of these documents may be downloaded from the following attachments. . The information leaflet template allows for participating operators to use their own logo on the bottom right hand front cover under the CPT logo, and on the upper part of rear panel. It also provides space for Customer Services telephone numbers and/or other information you wish to include.
To date the Code has been accepted by;
· Blackpool Transport Services Ltd
· Country Bus
· National Express
· Quality Line
· Reading Transport Ltd
· Southern Vectis
· Thamesdown Transport
· Transdev Blazefield Limited
· Western Greyhound
· Wilts and Dorset
· Yellow Buses
More information can be found on the transport for all website: http://www.transportforall.org.uk/news/new-regulations-on-scooters-on-buses